Saturday, November 2, 2013

Swimming

After having a tiny bit of quite time after the Marathon, I'm trying to get back into swimming again - I know this is one I'll lose quickly if I drop it. So today was my second day in the pool this week. I'm going to try to stick to twice a week, and I'll mix up my sessions to try and keep improving. My first session is a long slow session. I guess equivalent to a long slow run in running training. For this I'll just swim out 3-4kms non stop, at a slow and steady pace. Easy right ;-). Session two is my medium session, it has a total of 3kms, but is comprised of 1km of warm up, followed by a 1km pyramid session, with a 30sec break between each stint, allowing me to push out a higher pace for each leg of the pyramid. This runs 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 200m, 150m, 100m, 50m. This is then followed by another 1km pushing a decent pace, but by no means threshold.
My final session is based on drills and works out to be 2km-3km in length with a mix of 100m and 50m sprints, pull laps, and drill laps such as lay out kicking, catch up, extended doggy paddle etc. These drills go for 1km and are structured as 50m drill, 50m front crawl making sure to focus on what the drill was teaching.
This setup trys to keep it interesting, but obviously ensuring a decent distance every session with the long triathlons coming up in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment