Monday, November 25, 2013

Sourdough

Yay. It was finally time to bake some more bread. A friend was having us over for dinner so I wanted to cook an epic loaf of bread. I made another sourdough using my three month old culture. I matured the culture over 3 days, mixed the dough with the levain culture on Saturday morning, folded and fermented for 2.5 hrs, then shaped and let rise for a final fermentation of 2.5 hours and then baked the whole dough as one massive loaf.
This was a big loaf as it was meant to be shaped into two loaves, but like I said, I wanted to make an epic loaf. Unfortunately this huge loaf extended cooking time, and I ended up with a slightly too hard of a crust. I'll know for next time. However, there was a beautiful sourdough flavour and it raised really nicely, with some beautiful little air holes and a really nicely textured crumb. The crust was nicely coloured and the score marks worked really well, creating a very nice looking loaf of bread.
Next weekend I'm excited as I'm going to be baking a fig and hazlenut levain.
Sourdough
Sourdough

No comments:

Post a Comment