Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Achilles recovery

So I am working away with my Achilles Tendonitis. What an annoying injury. It is like a pestering little shitty dog always yapping at your heels - you never really feel the pain, but you know it's always there to trip you up when you least expect it. So the recovery was looking pretty good, so my physio gave me the all clear so start riding a bit harder, so last Saturday I went for a 45km bike ride. A nice spin around UBC, Stanley Park then home. The Achilles felt great throughout the ride. I stayed in the saddle for the whole ride and really just spun out a light gear. However afterwards the Achilles came back with a vengeance, becoming too painful for my physio excercises and showing some signs of having gone back to square one.

To say the least, I was pretty bummed about this, and my partner was as well, as I continued to whinge and complain all weekend about the face my Achilles was done and that I was not going to be able to make some important races that I hope to race in.

Anyways, it is now Wednesday and everything is looking a lot better. I am easily getting through all of my eccentric heel dips with very little pain (3x15 straight legged, 3x10 bent legged), morning and night. I am also on a hop scotch routine to start putting a bit more load on the Achilles ad giving it some more quick burst movements to cope with. To top off the Achilles injury I also ended up with a dodgy nerve in my foot due to the inflammation surrounding my Achilles, so this has added an extra set of exercises to "floss" my nerves, as with this pain it became increasingly difficuly to stretch out my calf muscle and Achilles.

So, luckily it has been raining this week, so there has been no temptation to get on the bike, however the next few days might be ok, so maybe a few light rides to work will give me a good idea of how the Achilles is mending up, and hopefully if I'm feeling good, the physio has me on some easy run-walk training of (3min run, 3min walk)x5, and then increasing by one rep per session until I can start linking runs together, with at least 36hrs rest in between sessions. Fingers crossed it all feels ok at my first run and that it is all forwards from here.

Achilles Excercise

No comments:

Post a Comment