Wednesday, July 15, 2015

On the road to recovery.

Injury has offered salvation. As an endurance athlete, injuries suck. They make your life feel like it is falling to pieces and you're just not sure how you are going to be able to continue! Very melodromatic I know, but if you are a fellow athlete, you'll know what I mean.
However, all that being said, this injury was one of the best things to happen to me. It forced me to break out of a bad rut that I was in. An endless cycle of exercise to maintain some unknown level of fitness that I had set myself as a goal to maintain, for no particular reason.
In hindsight, this was waiting to happen, and all the signs were there, I just had tunnle vision and and avoided listening to any warning signs.
Now, 10 weeks later, or there abouts, I can still barely run, but I can now cycle, which is a blessing. It feels great to go for a ride again, especially with the garmin turned off. No caring about pace, time or distance. Just doing it because it is fun.
I am starting to try run/walk sessions, with little success, but atleast the pain afterwards now subsides fairly quickly. Hopefully it's only a month or so until I can start running properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment